HEY! YOU GUYS SEEM COOL, BUT I'M OUT OF STATE. CAN I STILL WORK WITH YOU?!
Yes, of course! Your appointments can be via Skype or over the phone. Even local clients often choose these coaching modalities because of how convenient it is. With either style of coaching, you get the same high-quality coaching and you save time!
HOW TO HAVE THE VERY BEST OUTCOMES
- You want to work with a nutritionist and not because you feel external pressure to work with one. If someone else wants you to be healthy more than you do, it’s much easier quit or blame your failure on something else. Being motivated by a family member or friend is fine, but you have to be there for yourself first and foremost.
- You have patience. Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods. When we are sick, we want to be better yesterday. It's important to understand that functional medicine is not a quick fix because we are trying to rebuild things from the ground up. Usually there are early noticeable improvements with tweaks in diet and lifestyle, however it can take many months or over a year to reverse sometimes decades of damage. Obviously this approach is not the same as taking a prescription drug and calling it a day, which is why you will get better and not worse. Get in the "this is a marathon not a race" mentality and great things will happen!
- You are willing to make changes, even the ones that suck. Hey, I know, it’s no fun giving up sugar, gluten, alcohol or whatever is asked of you. Making your bedtime 3 hours earlier? Cutting out the afternoon lattes? Getting off of electronics before bed? Taking 10 supplements throughout the day? Change is hard certainly and not always fun. The good news is that some of it is not always permanent. Elimination diets end, vitamin regimens change, all as you improve and heal. Though for some of the permanent changes, you'll thank me for later.
- You understand that lifestyle is 80% of getting better. It’s easy to say, Well, I am going to take out dairy but not sugar. Or, I can’t not be on my computer 24-7, it’s my job. I have to have alcohol because I am going to social events. I don’t have time to exercise, meditate, sleep or insert any excuse here. If you don’t address lifestyle changes seriously, you are guaranteeing that you won't make considerable gains.
- You are ready and willing to invest in your health. Your health must be a high priority and worth the investment. It's as simple as that.
USE YOUR HSA OR FSA // PAYMENT OPTIONS
Thrive Nutrition is a cash-based practice. As a fee-for-service practice, clients pay in full or their first payment at the time of the visit and any services purchased will be billed to you directly. However, many health plan administrators consider working with a nutritionist for diagnosed conditions and the purchase of supplements for diagnosed conditions to be qualified medical expenses under IRS guidelines for HSA and FSA plans. You will need to check with your health insurance provider to see if you qualify and they will be able to tell you what is required for you to use it. Lab work may be used with HSA dollars. Eligibility for reimbursement of Thrive Nutrition services is at the sole discretion of your health plan administrator. If you do qualify to use HSA dollars for a diagnosed medical condition, you can submit the cost of your services to your plan administrator by these following steps:
- For nutrition services, ask your doctor to complete a letter of medical necessity or to write up a doctor's note that specifically identifies that the recommendation and expense is for treatment of the medical condition.
- Attach a copy of your Thrive Nutrition sales receipt.
- Submit the signed letter of medical necessity along with the claim form and your receipt(s) to your provider for reimbursement.
- NOTE - every HSA/FSA plan is different so it's always good practice to check with them about their protocol
- For supplements, have your doctor fill out THIS form or fill out a FSA/HSA claim form provided by your plan administrator or HR department. Submit the signed claim form and your receipt(s) to your provider for reimbursement.
WHY INSURANCE ISN'T ACCEPTED
Functional nutrition can only do what it does by not taking insurance. The health insurance system is set up to manage disease with a strong emphasis on medication use and has little emphasis on prevention. Functional nutrition assesses diet, lifestyle, natural supplements, botanical medicines as well as mental and emotional factors of your health.
HOW TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Appointments are scheduled by accessing the scheduling tool in the Client Tab. Appointments can be rescheduled using the Client Portal which is also located in the Client Tab on the bottom left. Appointments can be scheduled up to 24 hours in advance and are scheduled on a first-come basis.
You have 30 days from the first payment (either full payment or monthly payment) to change your mind and cancel your 3 or 5 month membership. You will receive a refund minus a $199 registration fee. After 30 days, membership purchases are non-refundable. Interruptions in the availability of or access to Thrive's services or interruptions due to circumstances outside of Thrive's control will not create a right to cancel your membership or request a refund/credit. The 3 and 5 month memberships are designed to consistently accommodate 2, 50-minute appointments or 4, 25-minute appointments per month. This is not a requirement, but is strongly advised. Expecting more in a month may not be accommodated as appointments are scheduled individually on a first come, first served basis. Individual aare non-refundable and expire 6 months from the date of purchase.
Lab tests can be very helpful and common testing includes blood, saliva, urine or stool testing. Specialized tests are GI-Map, Nutritional Deficiencies, Heavy metals and Food Sensitivities. Lab testing is routinely used for those with severe digestive complaints to help determine if yeast, bacteria or parasites are causing the distress (average $400). Lab testing can also be helpful for someone who is primarily motivated by seeing concrete data. Other types of lab testing can be offered if you would like to get advanced testing beyond standard lab tests (advanced CardioMetabolic risk, MTHFR mutations, telomere length, etc.). Every effort will be made to make you fully aware of any additional lab fees that may be incurred and to give you the opportunity to choose which lab tests you feel comfortable paying for. You are under no obligation to purchase any specialty testing. If lab testing is ordered, you will receive a lab kit in the mail which you would then take to a local collection center of your choice such as a LabCorp facility to complete your lab test. Typical lab costs can range from $50-$400. Some insurance companies partially cover the cost of labs. Lab work costs can be covered by HSA dollars. Eligibility for reimbursement of Thrive Nutrition LLC services is at the sole discretion of your health plan administrator.
Pharmacy-grade supplements and herbals are frequently used short-term to quickly restore vitamin, mineral and antioxidant status, improve and assist with digestion, help you efficiently cope with stress and get better sleep. Getting optimal nutrients from our food is ideal. However, it's not a reality for many people, especially if you are under increased stress, taking medications or eating the Standard American Diet. Prescription medications can deplete nutrients as well. For example, cholesterol-lowering medications, like statins, deplete CoQ10; oral contraceptives deplete B vitamins; diabetes medications, like metformin, deplete vitamin B12. Hormone fluctuations and diseases also increase nutritional demands on the body. Providing the body with the proper nutrients will help it achieve this balance.. Long-term supplements that I recommend as "The Thrive Daily 5" help ensure optimum nutrient levels by filling in nutritional gaps and serving as “dietary insurance” or a “safety net” to best support your body. Supplements can be purchased through the Fullscript online dispensary; accessible in the Client Tab on the bottom right. Eligibility for reimbursement of Thrive Nutrition LLC services is at the sole discretion of your health plan administrator. To process a request to have supplements covered with a HSA, have your doctor fill out THIS form.
VEGANS AND STRICT VEGETARIANS
At this time, Thrive Nutrition declines to work with strict vegetarians and vegans. There are many reasons why people choose to go vegetarian or vegan. Some are compelled by the environmental impact of confinement animal feeding operations (CAFO). Others are guided by ethical concerns or religious reasons. These reasons are respected and Thrive Nutrition appreciates anyone who thinks deeply about the social and spiritual impact of their food choices. Unfortunately, vegan and vegetarian diets need very careful dietary planning to include enough nutrients. Vegetarian diets typically include large amounts of cereal grains (refined and unrefined) and legumes, both of which are low in bioavailable nutrients and high in anti-nutrients such as phytate. The diets also can include highly processed meat replacements and be very low in good fat. Several studies have shown that both vegetarians and vegans are prone to deficiencies in B12, calcium, iron, zinc, the long-chain fatty acids EPA & DHA, and fat-soluble vitamins like A & D. In honor, respect and gratitude for the animals, Thrive Nutrition encourages eating animals that lived their lives grazing on lush pastures, away from cages, toxins, steroids, antibiotics and the inflammatory fats found in the grain-fed, factory-farmed meat industry. Vegetarians open to eating low-mercury fish, bone broth and collagen (potentially eggs) may participate.
THE PILLARS OF HEALTH
Thrive Nutrition focuses on multiple aspects, but especially 4 major pillars that lay the foundation to help you achieve greater health. The 4 pillars are:
Diet - Diet is arguably the single-most important factor that determines our health. The quality of the food we eat—and most importantly, the nutrients it contains—is what determines whether we simply survive, or thrive. Unfortunately, over 50% of the calories the average American consumes come from flour, sugar and industrial seed oils, foods that have almost none of the nutrients our bodies need to function properly. The ideal human diet is one that emphasizes real, nutrient-filled, whole foods and eliminates or reduces the processed and refined “factory-foods” that have become the mainstay of the industrialized diet.
Movement - Humans are designed to be physically active. Yet in the modern world many of us sit the entire day at work and most of the evening too, as we browse Facebook, watch TV, post on Instagram or check our email. The key to overcoming our sedentary lifestyles is integrating more physical activity throughout our days, by sitting less, standing and walking more, performing our own chores, housework, and gardening, and finding opportunities to move whenever possible.
Sleep - 1/3 of Americans are getting fewer than 6 hours of sleep each night. This is nothing short of catastrophic, because sleep deprivation affects literally every cell and organ system in the body. Not getting enough sleep is associated with everything from obesity to diabetes to autoimmune disease to Alzheimer’s. The bottom line is that it’s impossible to reach your healthiest self if you don’t get enough sleep. The keys to improving your sleep are making it a priority, reducing your exposure to artificial light at night, creating an environment that promotes restful to sleep, avoiding caffeine later in the day and keeping alcohol intake to a minimum.
Stress Management - No matter what diet you follow, how much you exercise and what supplements you take, if you’re not managing your stress you will still be at risk for modern degenerative conditions like heart disease, diabetes, thyroid problems, and autoimmune disease. Thankfully, stress management doesn’t have to be as hard as you might think. With the right tools and approach, it’s easy to incorporate into your routine, and if you’re like most people, you’ll see immediate and noticeable benefits.